The leading song writing competition of ABS-CBN this 2014 season is back! After a successful hit popular song Nasa Iyo Na Ang Lahat as well as other songs from 2013 season of the said festival, there are so many surprising high quality song content with a bit of thematic impact of listening taste that could cater for the fans of various singing artists of ABS-CBN. Not only the TV viewers may buy a genuine CD copy (availabe in local record stores until 3rd week of September 2014) or legal MP3 download of Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs 2014 to listen the fresh original song content created by candidate amateur song lyricists but they should watch an uploaded music video of the song on YouTube produced by digital film makers of various colleges and universities. So, what are the actual overview of various songs of the said 2014 season song festival as well as its music videos? Here are my own views:
- Mahal Kita Pero. This song may be apply to a typical teenage relationship on hit daytime family drama Be Careful With My Heart where Nikki (played by actress Janella Salvador who sang the song during audio recording session) who had given an intentional promises to have a future affair with her boyfriend Niccolo (played by actor Mario Mortel). For Janella, this was the first time to work such matter even though—through the tutor of her mother Janine Desiderio—she doesn’t have a future recording project.
- Simpleng Tulad Mo. If you watch the music video of the song on YouTube, it may be regarded as an extended epilogue of hit teen drama Got to Believe as both Joaquin (played by actor Daniel Padilla who sang the song) and Chichay (played by actress Kathryn Bernardo) paint together separately a typical pop artwork of graphical fantasy of teenage relationship. The theme of the song is about a simple and ordinary life of every manners of a boy or a girl in spite of lack of experience.
- Walang Basagan ng Trip. This typical “Itchyworms versus Rocksteady” song tandem performed by respective lead singers of the band Jugs and Teddy as current co-host of daytime talent show Showtime on ABS-CBN gave a serious craze of its theme about a rumbling romantic relationship during nightly outdoor activities after work, such as r0ck music clubs or concerts.
- Akin Ka Na Lang. This potential winning song piece performed by The Voice Philippines Season 1 finalist Morisette Ammon—who also sang the theme song of afternoon drama Moon of Desire—often register with perfect high notes with feelings, on whick its main theme is about an important trust of a chosen relationship.
- Bumabalik Ang Nagdaan. While Jessa Zaragosa only became dire of future recording project after she became famous on her hit songs Bakit Pa and Di Ba’t Ikaw in early 2000s, this song is almost compatible to her to sing as a “special comeback”. The theme of the song is about how to restore romantic sincerity and dignity from painful relationship of the past.
- Mahal Ko o Mahal Ako. Singer KZ Tandingan had slowly improved for registering some high notes with this song feature about intentional chosen incompatible relationship.
- Hindi Wala. In my thought, this song was originally intended to perform by Callalily lead singer Kean Cipriano, but due to his busy activity it was later turned over to former MYMP lead singer Juris to sing a piece. The theme was about indecision to love each other.
- Halik Sa Hangin. Former Sugarfree lead singer Ebe Dancel and fliptop rapper Abra collaborate each other to sing a darker theme of the song about a lone man who had a painful break-up of a sour relationship with his girlfriend. On a normal lyrics he took a momentary comfort zone for a long time, but on rap lyrics because of his frustration he was endangered to have a suicide.
- Pumapag-Ibig. The melody of its background acoustic music and the content of the lyrics of a song was almost bossa nova, a specialized jazz-based and latin-based musical genre. Performed by Marion Aunor and musician Seed Bunye, the theme was about a further excuse of romantic affair.
- If You Don’t Want To Fall. Singer Jed Madella had maintained a baritone-like conventional powerful singing skill for decade, with an effective natural feeling and emotion of the content of this feature song, on which its theme is about long-term modest romantic relationship.
- Everything Takes Time. This upbeat melody performed by lyricist and interpreter Hazel de la Cruz often contains a theme about a “true love waits” basis.
- Hanggang Kailan. Oh well, this powerful song performed by Angeline Quinto may be likely an extended theme song of hit adult drama The Legal Wife starring Angel Locsin, Maja Salvador, and Jericho Rosales aside from the main song Hangggan Kailan Kita Mamahalin. Although the song was only applied for the song festival, in which its theme is about everlasting love affair.
- Dito. Last 2013, FM radio stations Love Radio and Yes FM in Mega Manila only aired Sana’y Magbalik as their own choice rather than to air the entire songs from Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs 2013. This 2014, will these two FM radio stations would attempt to air this feature song performed by Jovit Baldivino just as mentioned from the former one on previous song festival season? The theme is about wishing for a coming back a relationship when two lovers became friends from the past.
- Umiiyak Ang Puso. The song performed by Bugoy Drillon was almost a heartbreak song about a man who grieved his guilt for breaking up his beloved woman.
- Pare Mahal Mo Raw Ako. The last of the song I posted on my views—though less popular with a bit of twist of its theme—candidate lyricist and interpreter Michael Pangilinan performs a song narration about a man who console with his male friend who wished to come back his broken relationship with his girlfriend.